Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A family home evening not to repeat


We had a family home evening I hope never to repeat. I am sure that nobody will forget it. Poor little Dane broke his leg and we all got to sign his cast. Whether you want whole story or not here it is.....

We are playing at Oliver and Bryant's soccer game (they lost, but Bry had some awesome saves in the goal. Oliver almost headed the ball into the goal). Jeff and I take turns playing with the other boys on the play ground during the game. Really Jeff does more playing than I do. Anyway Jeff was taking Dane down the curvey slide on his lap. On one of the curves Dane's leg got squished between the slide and Jeff. Dane cried for a good long while. For anyone who knows my boys they are not cryers. So we were a bit concerned. He did settle down after repeating over and over, "Daddy sqished me," through the tears. We took him home, gave him some Motrin and gave him a nap. He didn't want to put any weight on his leg. When he woke up he still wouldn't put any weight on it, but acted fine other than that. By 7 pm however I took him to the ER. I went to Community Hospital to avoid all the craziness of Upstate, only to be rushed out of my room with Dane for a gunshot wound. I should have gone to Upstate where our friend ,Chris, was on call and would have taken care of him. To make a long story longer the x-ray came back negative. But that is because Dane's bones are soft enough yet that they don't show up yet. It is called a toddler fracture. In the Er they put on a hard splint and we followed up Monday morning with an orthopedist who put on a nice blue cast. Dane was a champ through all of this. He was only upset when they went to take off the split. He wanted it on. I think he realized that it helped him. So now Dane has a cast and can walk on it, but won't yet. It is so sad to see him doing the army crawl around. It sure is helping his speaking.


 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Poor guy! Sawyer had a buckle fracture when he was 13 months. It was hard to see on the x-ray. Hope he recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad - I bet Jeff feels awful! He'll probably be walking soon and the bottom of the cast will get all gross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! Poor little guy. I hope he starts walking around a little soon for your sake so you can start packing up your house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am so sorry. I hope for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so sad when your kids get hurt, I swear I hurt for them! I hope it heals quickly and he is back to his old self soon!! Hey when is the move?

    ReplyDelete